Thursday, November 15, 2012

James 1:2-4

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, no lacking anything." James 1:2-4

go back and read that again. i know most of us have read that verse many times. usually when i read it i focus in on "consider if pure joy...". isn't that what we are told to do "count it all joy"? i'll admit that some days it seems impossible to have joy. joy is definitely the quality i would ask God for if i could ask for anything. i so focus on my circumstances way to often instead of the great big God who is in total control of my circumstances.

but this morning i was reading this verse with k (no longer little k because he is 5 and huge) and the part that stuck out to me was "so that you may be complete and mature." i've never thought about the fact that trials, which develops perseverance, which makes me complete and mature. meaning i have to go through those trials and testings of my faith to be made complete. reading it that way, why would i NOT want the trials. my prayer this morning has changed from "God deliver me from these trials" to "God use these trials to mature me and bring me closer to you".  we are going to face many many trials in our life. that is a given. and we should choose joy no matter our circumstances. it's a little easier to choose joy when i think that these trials are making me complete in Christ.

No comments: