Monday, October 31, 2011

Just Love

is that a statement? command? question? suggestion? what exactly is "just love"?

2 weeks ago our pastor started a new series titled "just love". to be honest with you i wasn't so sure that i was going to enjoy the series or whatever. most "love" messages i've heard have been all about God loves us and we should love him and just how simple it all is and basically if you can't do that you are screwed up.

in Matthew 22:37-40 Jesus talks about the 2 greatest commandments being to love God with all you have all the time and love all people the same way. not just a friendship love but the agape committed and devoted love. sounds so simple. in fact it sounds so simple that it i feel that it is just cruel. if it's that simple why can't i contain that kind of love for God or anyone? why is the love i try to share each day not enough. if it is the greatest commandment then why is love failing me every day. i searched God strongly with my questions. i read 1 Corinthians 13 about how love is patient, kind, not self-seeking or easily angered, protects, hopes and perseveres. i can't seem to find that kind of love inside myself. my love is selfish, envious, easily angered, gives up, and fails tremendously on a daily basis. i don't understand. in a world where we are told daily "love is enough" i battle daily in my own home where love ISN'T enough. well at least, my fleshly love isn't enough. and this is where God changed my perspective.

my love will never and can never be enough. i'm human, not God. it's HIS love that is patient, kind, not proud, not rude, not self-seeking, not easily angered, keeps no records of my wrongs, protects, hopes, and perseveres. it is his love THROUGH me that loves others. it's when i am empty of my own imperfect love that his love pours in and his love IS ENOUGH! that's the love that can see into hearts and love well.

so whether it is JUST LOVE! that is shouted from the mountains. or just love? that is the questions that always brings you to your knees before Abba Father. or even just love. a simple statement that is a daily reminder of Matthew 22. they all say the same thing JUST LOVE. it's the same as JUST GOD. he is all we need. he is the great I AM. he is everything. 









No comments: